The Sun Chronicle, June 16, 2017, by David Linton
“TAUNTON — The judge’s verdict in the manslaughter trial of Michelle Carter has garnered the criticism of free speech advocates who see “dangerous precedent.”
Patrick Noonan, a Brockton defense lawyer, who watched the verdict on television, said the case will have a chilling effect on freedom of speech.
“I think this sets a dangerous precedent,” Noonan said. “You have to be careful what you say now. It wasn’t hate speech. It wasn’t true threats.””
EnterpriseNews.com, February 24, 2017
“BROCKTON – A Carver man who overdosed on heroin while behind the wheel of a car in Brockton, with his 10-year-old son in the back seat, two years ago, will avoid jail time and will instead undergo treatment for his addiction. Matthew Murphy, 48, pleaded guilty Friday in Brockton District Court to charges of drugged driving, child endangerment while drugged driving and possession of heroin.
Prosecutors had been seeking a 90-day sentence in jail.
His attorney Patrick Noonan requested that he be given a suspended sentence and placed on three years probation in lieu of jail time. Noonan also asked Judge Andrew Mandell for several conditions of Murphy’s probation aimed at treating his addiction.
Mandell imposed a suspended sentence of 6 months and placed Murphy on three years of probation. The conditions of his probation were that Murphy remain drug and alcohol free, submit to random drug testing, attend two Narcotics Anonymous meetings a week and undergo substance abuse counseling once a month.
Noonan told The Enterprise he felt jail time would have been detrimental to his recovery and was happy with the judge’s decision.”
“Man beaten with baseball bat outside Brockton pizza shop.” http://www.wcvb.com/article/man-beaten-with-baseball-bat-outside-brockton-pizza-shop/8188389
“Brockton overdosed driver avoids jail time in favor of treatment.” http://saugus.wickedlocal.com/news/20170224/brockton-overdosed-driver-avoids-jail-time-in-favor-of-treatment
House Party Case in the News
- 41 arrested at Massachusetts House Party. NBC News, February 22, 2016
- 41 arrested at “out of control” Bridgewater house party. Boston Globe, February 21, 2016
- More than 40 partygoers arrested at “loud out of control house party” near Bridgewater State University, police say. New York Daily News, February 22, 2016
- Bridgewater police arrest 41 after house party. Washington Times, February 22, 2016.
- 41 arrested at house party in Bridgewater, Mass. Providence Journal, February 21, 2016
- Bridgewater police arrest 41 after house party. New Jersey Herald, February 21, 2016
- House condemned after 41 arrested at Bridgewater party. Enterprise News, February 22, 2016
- Bridgewater Police bust party, arrest 41. Fox25, February 22, 2016
- Police arrest 41 people at Bridgewater party. WCVB, February 22, 2016
After a three-day jury trial, Attorney Gerald J. Noonan and Attorney Patrick J. Noonan obtained Not Guilty verdicts on all indictments, which include Rape by Force and Indecent Assault & Battery, saving their client from a lengthy prison sentence and having to register as a sex offender. “East Bridgewater man found not guilty in Bridgewater Rape.”
Masslive.com, August 4, 2015, By Shira Schoenberg
“BOSTON – On Aug. 21, 2014, an auditor who was trained in monitoring prisons to ensure that they complied with anti-sexual assault policies conducted an audit of a Boston juvenile detention facility.
Auditor Kurt Pfisterer interviewed four boys in the facility, called Casa Isla, spoke to staff members and toured the place…”
“All youth knew multiple ways to report abuse and felt very confident that any complaint they made would be properly addressed,” Pfisterer, an independent auditor certified by the U.S. Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Assistance, concluded in the audit. “None of the youth reported ever having fear for their safety while at the facility.” He wrote that the youth “felt very safe.”” Read Full Article
“Prosecutor: Boys hit on naked backsides in ‘orange chicken’ abuse at Massachusetts state-run facility.”
MassLive.com, July 22, 2015, by Shira Schoenberg
“BOSTON — In ritualized physical abuse that the staff referred to as “orange chicken,” prosecutors say staff members at a state-run facility for adolescent boys would pull down the pants of residents and hit them on their naked backsides with an orange, state-issued sandal.
“Residents would receive ‘orange chicken’ for anything from misbehavior, returning to the program after being discharged, and the night before being discharged from the program as a reminder not to return,” said Gloriann Moroney, a Suffolk County prosecutor.” Read Full Article
Patriot Ledger, May 17, 2015, by Benjamin Paulin
“WAREHAM – Last week, Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy Cruz’s office announced they had charged an alleged drug dealer in the heroin overdose death of a 25-year-old Wareham woman.
It was the first time that prosecutors in Plymouth County have aimed to hold such a person accountable for the overdose death of one of his customers.
Because of the difficulty of tying the heroin that killed an overdose victim to the dealer who sold the fatal drug, the charge is rare in such a case.”
After extensive negotiations with the Commonwealth, Attorney Patrick J. Noonan obtained an outright dismissal of the criminal charge and Not Responsible findings on the three civil infractions. “Brockton man arrested after car chase.”
The Enterprise, April 17, 2015, by Benjamin Paulin
“BROCKTON – An East Bridgewater man was acquitted of rape charges by a jury in Brockton Superior Court earlier this week.
Bryan Souza, 26, was found not guilty on Wednesday of rape and indecent assault and battery.
In January 2011, a woman Souza was dating alleged that he raped her while inside his Bridgewater apartment, Souza’s attorney Patrick Noonan said.” Read Full Article
After a three-day trial, the jury found the Defendant Not Guilty of Assault with Intent to Murder, the most serious of the indictments. “Trial opens in Brockton for ex-firefighter charged with assaulting late wife.”
The Enterprise, March 18, 2015 Benjamin Paulin
BROCKTON – Stephanie Deeley still has the last voicemail her sister Kimberly Parker left on her cell phone from the day she died in 2013.
The message is Parker thanking Deeley for organizing a family event the night before. Every so often, Deeley listens to the recording just to hear her sister’s voice.
On Wednesday, Deeley listened to her sister’s voice again. The recording was of a frantic 911 call that Parker made on Dec. 18, 2011 just after 5 a.m.
“My husband is trying to kill me,” Parker yelled over the phone. “He’s got knives all over the house he just keeps throwing.”
Parker’s husband Richard R. Parker went on trial in Brockton Superior Court Wednesday, facing charges of assault to murder, kidnapping, assault and battery with dangerous weapon, threat to commit a crime and intimidation of a witness, as a result of the incident. Richard Parker worked for the Boston Fire Department for nearly 26 years and was also a 9-11 responder. Read Full Article
The Enterprise, February 22, 2014, Benjamin Paulin
“A Brockton man was arrested Friday night after police said he led officers through a high speed chase in the city.
Vincente L. Mitchell, 28, of 22 Intervale Street, Apt. 1R, Brockton was charged with failure to stop for police, reckless operation of a motor vehicle, failure to stop/yield and driving an unregistered vehicle.
Brockton Police Lt. Paul Bonanca said officers were responding to a report of gunshots near the area of Montello and Lawrence Streets when they saw a gray SUV speeding away from the area at about 55 mph in a 30 mph zone.” Read Full Article
Patriot Ledger, July 29, 2014
“BROCKTON – The state trooper accused of killing a mother and daughter in a 2013 car crash has yet to spend a day in jail, or pay any bail in the case. On Monday, a judge granted suspended trooper John Basler permission to go on vacation with his family next month in Maine, a move which angered the family of the victims…
While Brightman and his family are upset, Brockton defense attorney Gerald J. Noonan said the request was “fair and reasonable.”
“People in our system of justice are innocent until proven guilty,” Noonan said. “People have due process rights.”
The travel permission would not likely have been granted if Basler were a flight risk, said attorney Patrick Noonan, Gerald Noonan’s son.
“It’s clear to the judge that this is not a person that is going to flee and not return,” Patrick Noonan said.” Read Full Article
The Enterprise, October 22, 2014, Benjamin Paulin
“BROCKTON – A jury was unable to come to a verdict Wednesday in a Brockton murder trial where a man is accused of killing a witness in 2010 who was going to testify in another murder trial.
Joao Fernandes is facing murder and several gun charges after police said he and Michael Goncalves killed Manuel Rodrigues the day before he was set to testify in the murder trial of a Brockton man.The case in being tried in Brockton Superior Court…” Read Full Article
The Enterprise, April 3, 2013, by Justin Graeber
“BROCKTON – A Plymouth man is facing charges he has been running a scam on local businesses.
Brockton police say Robert McKinnon, 40, of Plymouth has been approaching local businesses like repair shops and specialty stores claiming to be selling advertising space for Massasoit Community College.
“He doesn’t have the consent or the authority to represent Massasoit,” said Detective Santiago Cirino.
Cirino said McKinnon is not affiliated with the college in any way, and Massasoit only found out about the issue after being contacted by victims of the alleged scam.
McKinnon will be summonsed to Brockton District Court to face six charges of larceny by false pretense. Police say they also plan to apply for a warrant in court today…” Read Full Article
The Enterprise, August 9, 2012, by Maria Popadoupolos
“BROCKTON – A jury has acquitted a 52-year-old Brockton man on 11 counts of child rape and other charges in a case dating back to 2006.
The jury made its decision on Tuesday in Brockton Superior Court – six years after Brian Pike was first accused of child rape, his attorney, Patrick Noonan, said Wednesday.
On June 8, 2007, a Plymouth County grand jury indicted Pike on three counts of rape of a child with force, six counts of indecent assault and battery and two counts of dissemination of harmful material to a minor.
A 12-member jury found Pike, a Marine Corps veteran, not guilty on all 11 counts on Tuesday, according to the clerk’s office at Brockton Superior Court. Judge Robert Cosgrove presided during the three-day trial.” Read Full Article
The Enterprise, August 23, 2011, by Vicki-Ann Downing
“BROCKTON – A jury in Brockton Superior Court deliberated only two hours on Monday before clearing a man of charges that he raped and assaulted a child in 2007.
Robert L. McAvoy, 42, of Brockton, was found not guilty on a charge of rape of a child with force and a charge of indecent assault and battery on a child under 16.
The allegations, made by a young girl, dated to July 21, 2007, according to McAvoy’s lawyer, Gerald J. Noonan of Brockton. McAvoy was arrested on Sept. 7, 2008, but was free on bail, Noonan said.” Read Full Article
The Enterprise, March 14, 2011, Maria Papadopoulos
[Our client was found Not Guilty on all indictments, including Assault & Battery and Assault & Battery with a Dangerous Weapon]
EAST BRIDGEWATER – Four of the six young men charged with trashing a house in East Bridgewater while the owners were away on vacation have been convicted and will face probation and community service for their actions.
Judge Carol S. Ball handed down the sentences on Friday afternoon after a five-day, jury-waived trial in Brockton Superior Court, Plymouth County Assistant District Attorney Bridget Norton Middleton said Sunday.
The defendants were Gersham Grossman, 19; Michael Edwards, 18; Daniel Peterson, 19; Benjamin Knox, 20; Daniel Coe, 20, and Jordan O’Neil, 18.
The defendants were accused of causing more than $50,000 in damage to the Elm Street home of Daniel and Jill Steidle-Abbett on Feb. 20, 2010, while the couple was away in Paris. Read Full Article
The Enterprise, June 17, 2010, Mallory Baker
“EAST BRIDGEWATER – Six local youths charged with trashing an Elm Street house to the tune of $50,000 are set to go to trial Monday in Brockton Superior Court.
Police say the suspects threw a party at the home of an acquaintance while that young man’s parents were in Paris. The parents returned to find blood and urine smeared on the walls, windows smashed, holes in the walls, doors off the hinges and an antique couch that had been set on fire.
Monday’s trial is set to take place before Superior Court Judge Carol Ball. The defendants waived their right to a jury and will be tried together.” Read Full Article
“EAST BRIDGEWATER – Six East Bridgewater residents have been indicted in connection with an out-of-control February party that caused more than $50,000 in damage to an Elm Street home.
The charges are as follows: Gersham Grossman, 18, is charged with malicious injury to property and malicious damage to a motor vehicle.
Michael Edwards and Daniel Peterson, both 18, are charged with malicious injury to property, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and assault and battery.” Read Full Article
More Headlines Coming Soon
- Victim testifies about being shot 3 times at close range
- Jury acquits three in shooting of Brockton man outside market
- Four guilty in house party frenzy. [Our client was found Not Guilty on all indictments, including Assault & Battery and Assault & Battery with a Dangerous Weapon]
- East Bridgewater homeowner ‘disgusted’ by sentences, plans civil action
- Easton man indicted on sexual assault charges
- EB man not guilty of rape